Interview de Amy Dumas aka Lita par Kevin Eck

Q&A with Amy Dumas

By Kevin Eck | Sun Reporter
6:34 PM EDT, July 3, 2007

Q&A with Amy Dumas

By Kevin Eck | Sun Reporter
6:34 PM EDT, July 3, 2007

Anyone who has ever watched Amy Dumas, formerly known as Lita, perform her acrobatic, high-flying moves in World Wrestling Entertainment knows that she isn’t afraid to take risks. Dumas perhaps took her biggest chance yet last November when she left WWE after nearly seven years to pursue a career in the music business. The former women’s wrestling champ is the lead singer of the Luchagors, an Atlanta-based punk rock band. Dumas, 31, hasn’t walked away from the ring completely, however, and she will make an appearance at Sunday’s Maryland Championship Wrestling show in Dundalk.

What went into your decision to leave a highly successful career with WWE?

It felt like it was time to at least see what else was out there. It’s a job that you have to give 110 percent to be successful at, and I just felt like I didn’t have 110 percent to give anymore. I feel like if I would have stayed longer with WWE I would have started to resent my time there, because you’re so inundated with the schedule and everything.

How did you feel about your breakup with fellow wrestler Matt Hardy and your involvement with Edge [Adam Copeland] becoming public knowledge and then being played out in a WWE story line?

That whole thing was just such a hard time for me. When you go through personal problems, it’s hard enough as it is, but then to have every aspect of your life out there and to feel like everybody knows your business when they really only know such a small percent and they’re passing judgment … there were definitely days when I didn’t feel like getting on the plane to go to work.

How often are you appearing at independent wrestling shows these days?

This is my first independent wrestling show since I left WWE. I trained with Maryland Championship Wrestling before I made it to WWE, so I think it’s fitting to go back to where I started.

How did the Luchagors come about?

Music has always meant a lot to me, and I’ve always had a bunch of friends in bands. I was talking a lot about [forming a band] and finally some friends of mine just called me out. I had already agreed to sign autographs at a rock and wrestling benefit show in Atlanta, and they were like, « Why don’t you get a couple songs together and play? » I couldn’t come up with a good enough excuse not to. So I just went for it. It opened up this new creative avenue that I’ve really immersed myself in.

How would you describe your sound?

As far as bands that people have heard, I’d say something like the Ramones, the Misfits, with some Rancid and maybe a little metal influence. People say Joan Jett a lot because my vocals are raw like hers.

What are your plans as far as touring and recording?

Right now we’re just playing about once a month in Atlanta. As soon as our record comes out, we’ll pretty much go everywhere. We’re in the studio now, and our record should be out in March. [Bassist] Rachel Bolan from Skid Row is producing it, and he’s been teaching us so much. Putting myself in a vulnerable position in which I could fail has been really challenging and refreshing.

Publié

dans